|ARE YOU A JUICY LUCY?|
Monday, 15 July 2013
Juicing, not just for the healthy
fact: There are approximately 10 000 nutrients in an apple!
fact: Leaving the fibre (skin) of the fruit or vegetable is sometimes best when juicing (I do)!
fact: It is always best to eat the fruit or vegetable but if you do not eat 8-10 servings minimum per day then juicing is a superb option!
fact: 80% of the time eat healthy, 20% of the time have fun with your food!
fact: You are what you eat!
So why would you become a Juicy Lucy?
If you are not eating enough fruits and vegetables per day juicing is a superb alternative to acquiring your daily recommended amount and part of a healthy diet.
Most of us suffer from impaired digestion or digestive disorders (some due to poor dietary choices over time) juicing helps to breakdown the food prior to digestion and the nutrients are more efficiently assimilated and absorbed by the body upon consumption.
We already know that fruits and vegetables provide an array of vitamins and minerals for a healthy body and healthy mind! BUT if you are not eating enough (8-10 servings per day) then becoming a JUICY LUCY is a superb alternative.
For optimal health it is important to incorporate food rotation into your daily dietary schedule. Juicing will aid in this healthy routine as you will open yourself up to a wider array of dark green leafy vegetables, root vegetables and fruits you may not choose to normally eat on a daily basis. Doesn't this sound delicious BUT so darned easy?
Before I started juicing I thought it would be a rather big chore BUT hell no it has become my daily ritual and I am feeling more energetic and healthier than ever!
How do you get started?
It is as easy as; 1 2 3!
1. Purchase a juicer. I have the Nutri Bullet and the blades whip my vegetables and fruits into a smooth operation of delectable yumminess. (The Nutri Bullet is easy to clean, BONUS!!)
2. Purchase a variety of vegetables and fruits (choose colour). The Nutri Bullet provides an informative booklet on shake mixes, types of vegetables, fruits etc . OR google vegetable and fruit shake ingredient ideas. "Think about food rotation and food combining" (I will get to that in a second for you)
3. Choose your preferred shake mix, chop up all the goodness that sits before you, add all the additionals (e.g coconut butter, coconut water, flax seed oil, nuts etc) whiz it up with your Nutri Bullet Blender and ta da you have a nutrient rich, pre-digested smoothie that your body will not resist. oh la la to awesome goodness!
Points to remember when choosing to be a
* Listen to your body! Choose fruits and vegetables you enjoy eating when you first begin your juice fest journey. As you become more familiar with juicing explore all the other options available and experiment.
You should not suffer from nausea or headaches after your juice fest (unless your adding vodka to your juice fest lol). The only time you may suffer from nausea or headaches is if you are following a detoxification diet and juicing is part of the programme. A grumbling tummy can mean three things; what you consumed in your juice fest your body did not enjoy, dehydration or you need to eat something more substantial.
* Juicing is not a meal replacement!
* Always purchase ORGANIC due to poor farming practices and heavy pesticide use. If organic is not always an option clean the vegetables and fruits well before whizzing them up and consuming. If the fruit or vegetable has a skin and is not organic you may want to peel before juicing.
* Adhere to proper food combining and food rotation . Some fruits and vegetables blend better together than others and do not create digestive discomfort upon consumption. Food rotation is key to incorporating an array of different foods, it may also help to alleviate allergic reactions to certain food types.
Where do you find food combining and food rotation information - my friend "google", Nutritional Practitioners or visit your local Indigo, Borders or Chapters Book Store (Health and Wellness section).
* Choose an array of fruits and vegetables. Different coloured fruits and vegetables provide different vitamins and minerals.
* Juicing for your nutritional type. An interesting article I discovered whilst having tea with my Almost Famous/Famous friend DavidsTea and google touched on this topic briefly which I found both interesting and made sense if you follow the blood group diet. (I have followed this type of eating plan)
Recommendations; Carbohydrate Type; Vegetable Juicing was highly encouraged with great results. You may choose from a wide variety of fruits and vegetables. If you are diabetic or have any other health risks always speak to your physician first or a Registered Nutritional Health Practitioner who can advise accordingly.
Protein Types; are advised to stay away from certain dark green leafy vegetables (e.g celery, spinach, asparagus) OR monitor your bodies reaction upon consumption BUT more interesting was to add a fat such as coconut oil, avocado, flax seed oil or flax seed powder to your shake (recommended for protein types). Leaving the vegetable/fruit pulp was also advised to ensure a more satisfying drink.
* Leave the pulp. The Nutri Bullet whizzes your fruit/vegetables and additional ingredients to a finely blended smoothie. The pulp is a great source of fibre and there are powerful nutrients in the skin of some fruits and vegetables. Some people due to health reasons require removal of the pulp, listen to your body or seek advice from a Nutritional Health Care Practitioner.
* Eat your Fruits and Vegetables in conjunction with being a Juicy Lucy. Juicing does not substitute for eating your fruits and vegetables. Incorporate a minimum of 4 servings of different fruits and vegetables into your daily routine.
* Juice in the morning.
* Drink your freshly made juice right away. Fresh is BEST.
JUICY LUCY RECIPES
Here is one example of a regular shake that I make. As I suffer from allergies and digestive disorders I prefer to keep my blends as simple as possible. "listening to your body is key"!
* servings size = fits into the cupped palm of your hand
**One of My Personal Juice Fests
x 1 serving spinach (1 cup)
x 1 serving carrots (5 small carrots)
x 1/2 serving apple (eat the other half later)
x 1 serving blueberries (1/4 cup)
x 125ml coconut chai rooibos tea
(made fresh using Davids Tea and iced)
x 125 ml water
x 1 teaspoon coconut butter
* Liquid added to your ingredients should reach the line shown on Nutri Bullet Blender Cup
*Whizz till fully blended
**Nutri Bullet example Juice Fests; You can half the servings sizes for the fruit and eat the rest during your day as snacks.
Foundation of Youth -
2 handfuls rinsed spinach
1 small cup red grapes
1 small cup strawberries
1/8 cup almonds
1 tsp Maca
Toxin Cleansing Blast
1-2 handfuls rinsed spinach
1 cored pear
1 cored apple
1 cup pineapple
The Nutri Bullet booklet offers an array of informative information and great juice fest recipes.
PERSONAL LIQUID RECOMMENDATIONS
TO ADD TO YOUR NEXT DELICIOUS
125 -250ml of home made iced tea using David's Tea
(fruity, rooibos, oolong, green, coconut chai)
125ml iced coconut water
lemon and lime juice
Well that is it folks
Remember being a Juicy Lucy can be a "tidy business"
This Blog is an overview of why Juicing is good for ya! No studies have been completed on the benefits of juicing that I could find on the web BUT we know that eating your fruits and vegetables is key to a healthy body so juicing is an easier way to claim that success.
All information and opinions are from my own personal experience information gathering and acquired through my Nutritional Studies at the Holistic Institute for Nutrition and google searches.
Paula C is not linked to Nutri Bullet as an ambassador or employee she just uses this whizz kid for her juices and loves their Juice Fest Recipes (takes the thinking out of being healthy)!